Saturday, September 14, 2013

I'm Coming Out


            Today I am coming out of the closet. I am a Feminist. I have known for a long time, I had feminist tendencies, but as I am starting my new life, I feel like it’s time to make it official.
I was raised by a Canadian Mother and a Ghanaian Father, I am the eldest of six kids. My parents instilled in me confidence, and I learned that my gender and my color did not define me.  My parents would probably never define themselves as feminist, but they really are.  I was raised to believe that everyone was equal, and that was just how the world worked.
            When I turned fifteen I moved to Walla Walla, Washington.  This is where I first realized that not all people were treated the same –and the world was not like the family I was in which I was raised.  It was expected of me to go to BYU-Idaho, find my soul mate in September, get married in December and be pregnant by April. While this was the ideal for many people that I knew in that small town, this did not fit with what I wanted for my life.
            I went to BYU and it solidified what I already knew, that I am different. Each day I realized with more clarity how different I was then the majority of female students there the problem was, the longer I was there the more I wanted to be like them—those girls with the long blond ponytails, and perfect complexions.
It’s hard to describe why I even cared, I’m not sure I've processed it all yet. All I knew is that I would never have a long blond ponytail (and by long blonde ponytail I mean the perfect outfit, the perfect boyfriend, the perfect figure and the “perfect” color) there was a yearning within me for something greater.
You know it’s amazing what television can do.  Specifically what Doctor Who can do. Mock me all you want too the Doctor is amazing. He takes these women, and shows them the world, and each woman reacts differently. Some fall in love with him, some leave him, and some depart his company due to circumstances beyond their.  Each of these women do great things. One creates an organizations that protect the world, one got married, and one course of history by turning left.  They were different sizes, different colors, and beautifully unique.  As I experienced Doctor Who, I saw what women could be. I saw the potential I had within me, and I saw that a man, even the greatest man, cannot define who I am. And that is when I started to seek out people who think like me.
Long story short, I am a feminist. I am feminist because gender does not define ability.  I am a feminist because I want my children to grow up in the world where culture does not define what they want to be.  I am a feminist because I believe woman can chose to become anything.



“I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath; scared to rock the boat and make a mess so I sat quietly, agreed politely. I  guess I forgot I had a choice, I let you push me past my breaking point, I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything.  You held me down, but I got up, already brushing off the dust, you held me down, but I got up, get ready cause I’ve had enough. I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire, cause I am a champion and you’re going to hear me ROAR”


7 comments:

  1. I always forget this will post without my name. I didn't mean to post anonymously. I am Margie Palmer Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 78 years old. I couldn't be prouder of you. I wish I had understood who I was at your age. Back then, women weren't really equal yet. I did let my husband define me, for a long time. I started my career at 37 in 1973. I sold building materials over the phone. Some men wouldn't talk to me because I was female. Females couldn't possibly know anything about building materials, now could they? I showed them I did. I ended up as Division Credit Manager for the same company. You go girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so inspirational to me! I am so grateful for the women who went before me who have made it easier for me! How AWESOME you are for sticking it to the "man" Thank you so much!

      Delete