Monday, July 9, 2012

Hello Seattle



I am back to work again, and super joy, its night shift!... The only redeeming quality of night shift? I get paid $10.50 an hour verses $10.00... Which is a big deal to a poor college student, who has an expensive Doctor Who obsession (a conversation for another day).
Over the last week, I have experienced and thought about a lot of things I could blog, and believe me, when one works 12 hour shifts, one tends to think a lot! And, maybe go slightly insane. So, I have a lot of ideas going through my head, and I just want to post them all at once, but, like Facebook, I don't think blogs should be updated more than once a day, or else you just become one of those super annoying people that I hide from my newsfeed. So today we are going to talk about Washington, and tomorrow (or the next day), I am going to talk about Missouri.

Washington State is the best place in the world in my ever so humble opinion.  I love everything about it. I love that there are two different sides of Washington, the diversity, the people, the rain, and most of all the Ocean.
I am an Ocean fanatic. Well, let me rephrase that, I  am a Pacific Ocean fanatic.  I love the Pacific. I love the ice cold water, I love the jelly fish, I love watching the fog roll off the water in the morning, and I love the way I smell after I have spent a long day at the beach. I wish I could explain properly the feeling I get whenever I see it. It is like the whole world brightens, and I always feel like I am releasing my breath after holding it. Completely calm.  And, I feel that way, every time I see it. When I was in Middle School, we would catch a glimpse of the ocean on the bus ride, and every day, that was what I looked forward to the most. I love seeing the sunrise over the water from the top of a hill so the ocean is partway hidden behind the forest.. I love the ocean..
Just look at this:
Ah! Doesn't your soul just feel full? I love the ocean in the sunshine and in the clouds....

Moving on, I also love Washington because it is like two states put into one! There is the West and the East, and together you can find anything you're looking for. From deep sea fishing, to a good ol' Walla Walla Sweet Onion... Anything you want, any culture, any food, any type of people. They are all there waiting for you. Washington even has Serial Killers, if that is your  speed...although, if it is I suggest you just go to jail now, because Serial Killers are creepy....

Then there is Seattle... I honestly, can't think of a more perfect place in the universe. Anything you want in the entire world you can find in the Emerald City. Starbucks originated there, and as anyone who knows me or reads my blog knows I LOVE STARBUCKS! Pikes Place Market is there, the EMP, the Aquarium, and SHOPPING!  It is alive and happening, and all very now. Indie, Hip, whatever you want to call it, it is where I want to be every day of my life. And, I know the traffic, people living on top of each other, to many people, blah blah blah! I don't care, because that is what I want. I want to live in a flat, in Seattle, with neighbors I don't know. I want to be somewhere with tons of people who are all trying to get somewhere fast, because face it, that is where life begins. Life happens when there are people around. And I want to be in the very middle of it all. Oh Seattle....

And, lastly the rain. I love rain, I love grey, and I love fog. I love waking up and feeling the fog in the air, and looking out your window and being snuggled close by the fog. I understand that makes me sound crazy as crack, but I love it. I love the feeling of drizzle on my face as I walk down the street (because any self respecting Washingtonian wouldn't carry and umbrella), the coolness in the air. The smell of wet dirt and trees, of wet sidewalk. It appeals to me so much. I feel the most content when I know that I just have to slip on a jacket and some tennis shoes, and I can ALWAYS wear jeans. I love the grey because it makes me appreciate the sun all the more. I was talking to a lady yesterday, and she was saying that Washington was the worse because she NEEDS sun, and the grey is AWFUL, and I was thinking about it. And I finally this morning came up with an explanation of why I love it so much. As a true Washingtonian I love the fog and rain. I love it because, when I look back, even though I know that there was so much more rain then sun in my  time in the Western side of Washington. It isn't the rain I remember the most clearly. It is the days when the sun shines.  I feel like that is what it means to be a true Washingtonian, we love it because we cherish the sun. We love the days in the sun, and even though there is a lot more of the grey,the sunshine creates a new atmosphere. Sunny days are the days you know are going to be full of adventure and mystery, because who knows when you will get a new one. We Seize the Day. And, people who always have the sun, they don't, because they know that the next day, and the next, and the next will be more of the same.
So in a way, I think that Washingtonians, love the rain, because it gives us a chance to be happy and content with the moment, knowing that the next one might be rainy, but maybe, just maybe you will catch a ray of sunshine. And, until then, we get to wrap ourselves in comfort and protection that clouds and fog provide.


Am I crazy? Or do other Washingtonians feel the same way?

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Come visit me next summer. I'll be at SPU with a summer job (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete